Evidence missingVallejo Times-Herald Letters, September 2, 2021
I have read the interview with Dr. Matyas in the Vallejo Times-Herald. He has not presented evidence-based studies to back up his stance on not masking in indoor public places.
Solano County has the highest rate of COVID of all Bay Area counties. All other counties have mandated indoor masking. Some counties have seen their rate of COVID decrease.
Evidence-based medicine is the standard for decision-making. A lengthy evidence review of face mask use during COVID-19 in the proceedings of the United States National Academy of Science on Jan. 26 concludes: “Near universal adoption of non-medical masks when out in public in combination with complementary public health measures could reduce the spread of COVID-19.”
I agree that we can not control COVID-19, but only mitigate it, We have learned to accept multiple mandates that only mitigate against death or significant injury: Seat belts, helmets for motorcycles and bicycles in children, and many more.
Masks have been documented by history to mitigate pandemics, like the 1910 Manchurian Plague.
The Solano County Department of Health is responsible to protect our citizens. People often ask for second opinions for grave illnesses. I ask that the Solano County Board of Supervisors asks for a second opinion on a mask mandate from the infectious disease heads of Kaiser and Sutter in Solano County and also consultation with either UC Davis or UC San Francisco.
— Alan Plutchok MD/Benicia
- Benicia physician Richard Fleming cites data on mask mandates
- Former Benicia Mayor Elizabeth Patterson asks hard questions about Solano County health policies
- Dixon author Kelly James: Enough with COVID misinformation
- ABC7 TV News: Benicia Council passes mask mandate
- KTVU TV News: Benicia breaks with Solano County, adopts mask mandate
- BREAKING NEWS: Benicia Council passes citywide indoor mask mandate, effective immediately
- Solano News.net: Solano Health Officer inaction proving wrong – cases climbing, hospital beds nearing capacity
- Mayor Steve Young: ‘We Could Not Wait for the County’: Benicia Passes Its Own Mask Mandate