By Roger Straw, Monday, April 25, 2022
Solano County reports 260 new COVID infections and 1 new death. Benicia now experiencing HIGH transmission rate.
Solano Public Health COVID dashboard, Monday, April 25, 2022:
DEATHS: Solano reported one new COVID-related death in today’s report, 5 deaths reported so far in April. COMPARE: 15 COVID deaths were reported in February, 17 in March. A total of 418 Solano residents have now died of COVID or COVID-related causes over the course of the pandemic.
TRANSMISSION RATE: With today’s report, Solano remained in a SUBSTANTIAL rate of transmission, but much higher, with 397 new cases in the last 7 days (up from 265 at last report). CDC FORMULA: Based on Solano County’s population, 450 or more cases in 7 days places Solano in the CDC’s population-based definition of a HIGH transmission rate. Below 225 cases in 7 days shows MODERATE community transmission. Numbers between 225 and 450 are considered SUBSTANTIAL transmission.
ACTIVE CASES: Solano reported 441 ACTIVE cases today, up from 328 at last report.
CASES BY CITY – Monday, April 25:
- BENICIA added 23 new cases today, 73 in April so far, and a total of 3,208 cases since the outbreak began. TRANSMISSION RATE: Benicia’s 7-day case count is 38 as of today’s report, now in the CDC’s HIGH rate of transmission for the first time since March 11. Benicia bounced between MODERATE and SUBSTANTIAL range from mid-March through mid-April. For a city with Benicia’s population, anything over 27 cases in 7 days is considered HIGH TRANSMISSION. 14 to 27 cases is considered SUBSTANTIAL. Below 14 is rated MODERATE.
- Dixon added 14 new cases today, total of 4,371 cases.
- Fairfield added 67 new cases today, total of 22,904 cases.
- Rio Vista added 0 new cases today, total of 1,194 cases.
- Suisun City added 17 new cases today, total of 6,012 cases.
- Vacaville added 45 new cases today, a total of 21,818 cases.
- Vallejo added 94 new cases today, a total of 25,815 cases.
- Unincorporated added 0 new cases today, a total of 200 cases.
TEST RATE: Solano County’s 7-Day Percent Positive TEST RATE was 8% today, up from 6% at last report. Even at this low rate, Solano does not compare favorably to the rest of California: The CALIFORNIA 7-day % positive rate was 2.3% today, up from 1.9% at last report. [Source: Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Tracking Center]. The U.S. 7-day % positive rate was 6.5%. today, up from 5.3% at last report. [Source: CDC COVID Data Tracker.]
CURRENT: Solano reported the number of those currently hospitalized with COVID in the County rose today from only 4 persons to 7. Current hospitalizations don’t tell the whole story, though, as this number reflects both admissions and discharges. Only from the increase in total hospitalizations (below) can we know how many new admissions have come into our hospitals as of this date.TOTAL hospitalizations: Solano updated its Age Group and Race/Ethnicity charts today, adding 1 previously unreported hospitalization, someone age 65+, for a pandemic total of 4,366. TREND: Solano reported 284 hospitalizations in January, 184 in February, and (without explanation) 644 in March. Only 29 so far in April, but the County often updates this age/race hospitalization data long after the fact.
ICU Bed Availability Solano County reported available hospital beds fell sharply today, from 63% at last report to only 37% today, just barely in the County’s GREEN safe zone.
Ventilator Availability in Solano County rose slightly today from 69% to 70% available, in the County’s GREEN safe zone.
HOW DOES TODAY’S REPORT COMPARE? See recent reports and others going back to April 20, 2020 in my ARCHIVE of daily Solano COVID updates (an excel spreadsheet).
>The data on this page is from the Solano County COVID-19 Dashboard. The Dashboard is full of much more information and (as of 3/14/2022) is updated Monday and Thursday between 4 and 6pm. On the County’s dashboard, you can hover a mouse or click on an item for more information. Note the tabs at top for “Summary, Demographics” and “Vaccines.” Click here to go to today’s Solano County Dashboard.
See also my BENINDY ARCHIVE of daily Solano COVID updates (an excel spreadsheet). I have also archived the hundreds of full CORONAVIRUS REPORTS posted here almost daily on the Benicia Independent since April 2020.