Jimmy Carter calls it ‘unlimited political bribery’
Email from Robert Weissman, President of Public Citizen, 2/23/23
As Jimmy Carter enters hospice care at his home in Georgia, I’ve been looking back to some of what the former president has said about Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission.
That’s the infamous 2010 Supreme Court ruling that has allowed billionaires and Big Business to spend literally as much as they want distorting our elections and sabotaging our democracy.
Here is some of what President Carter has said about Citizens United over the years:
- Citizens United is an “erroneous ruling” and “the most stupid decision the Supreme Court ever made.”
- Citizens United has turned America into an “oligarchy with unlimited political bribery.”
- Citizens United “violates the essence” of our democracy and represents “the biggest change in America” since he was elected in 1976.
- Citizens United has left everyday Americans “cheated out of” the chance to make their lives better.
- Citizens United has led to “a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors.”
Public Citizen called for a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United within moments of the decision being handed down on January 21, 2010.
And we’ve been a leader of that movement ever since — with a remarkable 22 states, along with over 800 cities and towns, passing resolutions or ballot initiatives in support of an amendment.
Former President Jimmy Carter is right — Citizens United is destroying our democracy and must be overturned.
Add your name if you agree with former President Jimmy Carter that Citizens United was wrong and must be overturned.
Take action today even if you’ve signed petitions before in support of overturning Citizens United — there’s no such thing as doing too much to protect our democracy!
Thanks for taking action.
– Robert Weissman, President of Public Citizen
You must be logged in to post a comment.