On Facebook: facebook.com/events/834097813284056/
Big Oil in our Midst: From Canada to the Carquinez Strait
A panel of experts and activists will educate residents of Benicia, Rodeo, Martinez, and nearby communities on Big Oil’s plans locally, regionally, and globally. How will refinery expansion and transportation of crude oil by rail affect your community?
Panelists, followed by Q&A:
- Marilaine Savard: spokesperson for a citizens’ group in the region of Lac-Mégantic, Québec. In 2013, a string of exploding petroleum rail cars destroyed the center of the town and claimed 47 lives.
- Antonia Juhasz: oil industry analyst, journalist, and author of “The Tyranny of Oil: The World’s Most Powerful Industry and What We Must do to Stop It” and “Black Tide: the Devastating Impact of the Gulf Oil Spill”.
- Diane Bailey, senior scientist at the NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council).
- Marilyn Bardet: Valero refinery watchdog, activist, and founding member of Benicia’s Good Neighbor Steering Committee.
- Nancy Rieser: spokesperson from the Crockett-Rodeo-Hercules Working Group, challenging Phillips 66 on its “propane recovery” project.
- A member (TBD) of the Pittsburg Defense Council, fighting against the proposed WesPac oil terminal.
Forum sponsored by the Sunflower Alliance, in partnership with the Sierra Club, Pittsburg Defense Council, Communities for a Better Environment, ForestEthics, the Good Neighbor Steering Committee, and the Crockett-Rodeo-Hercules Working Group.
For those in other towns, we have related forums in Pittsburg and Richmond!