By Roger Straw, Thursday, April 28, 2022
Solano County reports 527 new COVID infections in last 7 days, 2 new deaths and 24 hospitalizations. Benicia and Solano County back in HIGH rate of transmission.
Solano Public Health COVID dashboard, Thursday, April 28, 2022:
DEATHS: Solano reported two new COVID-related deaths in today’s report. One person who died was age 50-64 and one was age 65+. Solano has reported 7 deaths so far in April, all in the last 2 weeks. COMPARE: 15 COVID deaths were reported in February, 17 in March. A total of 420 Solano residents have now died of COVID or COVID-related causes over the course of the pandemic.
TRANSMISSION RATE: With today’s report, Solano is once again experiencing a HIGH rate of transmission, with 527 new cases in the last 7 days (up from 397 at last report). CDC FORMULA: Based on Solano County’s population, 450 or more cases in 7 days places Solano in the CDC’s population-based definition of a HIGH transmission rate. Below 225 cases in 7 days shows MODERATE community transmission. Numbers between 225 and 450 are considered SUBSTANTIAL transmission.
ACTIVE CASES: Solano reported 621 ACTIVE cases today, up from 441 at last report.
CASES BY CITY – Thursday, April 28:
- BENICIA added 30 new cases today, 103 in April so far, and a total of 3,238 cases since the outbreak began. TRANSMISSION RATE: Benicia has reported 53 new cases in the last 7 days, increasing well into the CDC’s HIGH rate of transmission. Benicia bounced between MODERATE and SUBSTANTIAL rate from mid-March through mid-April. For a city with Benicia’s population, anything over 27 cases in 7 days is considered HIGH TRANSMISSION. 14 to 27 cases is considered SUBSTANTIAL. Below 14 is rated MODERATE.
- Dixon added 13 new cases today, total of 4,384 cases.
- Fairfield added 68 new cases today, total of 22,972 cases.
- Rio Vista added 5 new cases today, total of 1,199 cases.
- Suisun City added 20 new cases today, total of 6,032 cases.
- Vacaville added 45 new cases today, a total of 21,863 cases.
- Vallejo added 86 new cases today, a total of 25,901 cases.
- Unincorporated added 0 new cases today, a total of 200 cases.
TEST RATE: Solano County’s 7-Day Percent Positive TEST RATE was 10% today, up from 8% at last report. Solano does not compare favorably to the nation or the rest of California: The CALIFORNIA 7-day % positive rate was 2.7% today, up from 2.3% at last report. [Source: Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Tracking Center]. The U.S. 7-day % positive rate was 6.1%. today, down from 6.4% at last report. [Source: CDC COVID Data Tracker.]
CURRENT: Solano reported the number of those currently hospitalized with COVID in the County rose today from 7 persons to 8. Current hospitalizations don’t tell the whole story, though, as this number reflects both admissions and discharges. Only from the increase in total hospitalizations (below) can we know how many new admissions have come into our hospitals as of this date.TOTAL hospitalizations: Solano updated its Age Group and Race/Ethnicity charts today, adding 24 previously unreported hospitalizations, someone age 65+, for a pandemic total of 4,390. (See below, and note that the County’s hospitalization numbers for Race/Ethnicity is less accurate, but presented here to show relative percentages). TREND: Solano reported 284 hospitalizations in January, 184 in February, and (without explanation) 644 in March. 53 so far in April, and the County often updates this age/race hospitalization data long after the fact.
ICU Bed Availability Solano County reported available hospital beds fell again today, from 37% at last report to only 32% today, just barely in the County’s GREEN safe zone.
Ventilator Availability in Solano County also fell today from 70% to 64% available, in the County’s GREEN safe zone.
HOW DOES TODAY’S REPORT COMPARE? See recent reports and others going back to April 20, 2020 in my ARCHIVE of daily Solano COVID updates (an excel spreadsheet).
>The data on this page is from the Solano County COVID-19 Dashboard. The Dashboard is full of much more information and (as of 3/14/2022) is updated Monday and Thursday between 4 and 6pm. On the County’s dashboard, you can hover a mouse or click on an item for more information. Note the tabs at top for “Summary, Demographics” and “Vaccines.” Click here to go to today’s Solano County Dashboard.
See also my BENINDY ARCHIVE of daily Solano COVID updates (an excel spreadsheet). I have also archived the hundreds of full CORONAVIRUS REPORTS posted here almost daily on the Benicia Independent since April 2020.