Friday, September 10: Solano reports 4 dead and a massive increase in hospitalizations
Solano County COVID dashboard SUMMARY:[Sources: see below.]
DEATHS: Four new deaths today, 2 age 50-64 and 2 age 65+. Total Solano deaths over the course of the pandemic now at 280.
CASES: The County reported 221 new COVID cases in the last two days, 111 per day.
COMMUNITY TRANSMISSION RATE: Over the last 7 days, Solano has seen 1,144 new cases, OVER 2½ TIMES the CDC’s population-based definition of a HIGH rate of transmission! Based on Solano County population of 449,432, the CDC would rate us in “SUBSTANTIAL” transmission with 225 cases over the last 7 days. Double that, or 450 cases in the last 7 days would rank us in “HIGH” transmission. And we are at an astonishing 2,616 cases as of today! [Reference: CDC’s level for “High Community Transmission”.]
YOUTH CASES: The percentage of Solano’s cases among our youth has increased very slowly over the course of the pandemic, starting below 6%, and only gradually reaching 12% in mid-April of 2021. The percentage of youth cases has jumped a full 0.9% since mid-August.
ACTIVE CASES: Solano’s 838 ACTIVE cases is up from last Wednesday’s 813, and up alarmingly up from 212 on July 2, and in the range we experienced during the deadly surge last winter.
ICU Bed Availability rose from Wednesday’s alarmingly low of 9% of ICU beds available to 17% today, back into the yellow danger zone. Again, we are still in the range we saw during the winter surge.
TOTAL hospitalizations Solano County’s TOTAL hospitalized over the course of the pandemic must be independently discovered in the County’s occasional update of hospitalizations by Age Group and by Race/Ethnicity. The County SUBSTANTIALLY updated its Hospitalizations charts today, adding over 500 previously unreported hospitalizations (by age, or nearly 450 by race/ethnicity). See below. (NOTE CORRECTION – THE NUMBER OF NEW HOSPITALIZATIONS WAS NOT OVER 1,000 AS PREVIOUSLY REPORTED HERE.) Interestingly, the race/ethnicity numbers don’t square with the age group numbers.
FACE MASKS… Good News in Benicia and Vallejo
GOOD NEWS! Benicia City Council passed a citywide indoors mask mandate. The mandate went into effect immediately and includes everyone 4 years old and up when indoors in public places, even those of us who are vaccinated. The mask resolution, press release, and a flyer now appear on the City website.
Benicia was the first Solano city to take action despite the County’s lack of strong guidance on masks. Benicia was joined by Vallejo on August 31. In the Bay Area, Solano County REMAINS the only holdout against even RECOMMENDING masks in public indoors spaces.
COUNTY-WIDE MASK MANDATE? The Solano County Board of Supervisors has agendized a consideration of a MASK MANDATE on Tuesday, September 14. Good news?? Maybe not! The description of the agenda item uses mandate language as follows: “Consider and provide direction regarding a Board Member request for the establishment of mandatory indoor face mask order for Solano County.” BUT… County staff has offered a DRAFT resolution that merely “encourages” and “recommends” and doesn’t even use the words “mask” or “face covering” in the body of the resolution. Your comments might be important before or during the Board’s Tuesday September 14 meeting. For instructions on how to participate, see the Sept 14 Agenda.
- Benicia added 8 new cases today, a total of 1,362 cases since the outbreak began. Benicia has seen 43 new cases over the last 7 days, over 1½ times the CDC’s definition of HIGH community transmission level based on Benicia population. [Note that Solano County is also rated far above high transmission, and Solano’s 6 other cities are likely also individually experiencing high transmission.]
- Dixon added 16 new cases today, total of 2,378 cases.
- Fairfield added 41 new cases today, total of 11,529 cases.
- Rio Vista added 6 new cases today, total of 539 cases.
- Suisun City added 15 new cases today, total of 3,004 cases.
- Vacaville added 73 new cases today, a total of 11,211 cases.
- Vallejo added 62 new cases today, a total of 12,508 cases.
- Unincorporated added 0 new cases today, a total of 134 cases (population figures not available).
HOW DOES TODAY’S REPORT COMPARE? See recent reports and others going back to April 20, 2020 on my ARCHIVE of daily Solano COVID updates (an excel spreadsheet).
>>The data on this page is from the Solano County COVID-19 Dashboard. The Dashboard is full of much more information and updated Monday, Wednesday and Friday around 4 or 5pm. On the County’s dashboard, you can hover a mouse or click on an item for more information. Note the tabs at top for “Summary, Demographics” and “Vaccines.” Click here to go to today’s Solano County Dashboard.
- Solano County Coronavirus Dashboard (on the County website).
- See also my ARCHIVE of daily Solano COVID updates (an excel spreadsheet). I have posted full CORONAVIRUS REPORTS almost daily here on the Benicia Independent.