Tuesday, September 8: 91 new cases over the holiday weekend, no new deaths. Since the outbreak started: 5,762 cases, 48 deaths.Compare previous report, Friday, Sept 4:Summary
- Solano County reported 91 new cases over the Labor Day weekend, total of 5,762 cases since the outbreak started. Over the last 2 weeks, Solano reported 531 new cases, an average of 38 per day.
- Deaths – no new deaths today, total of 48 Solano deaths.
- Active cases – Solano reported 88 fewer ACTIVE cases since Friday, total of 225. Note that only 33 of these 225 people are hospitalized, so there are a lot of infected folks out among us, hopefully quarantined. Is the County equipped to contact trace so many infected persons? Who knows? To my knowledge, Solano County has no reporting on contact tracing.
- Hospitalizations – the number of currently hospitalized persons included 3 more individuals today, total of 33. The total number hospitalized since the outbreak started increased by 4 today, total of 286. For the first time today since July 27, the County reported on ICU beds available, 49%. Still after 6 weeks, no information about availability ventilators.
- Testing – The County reports today that 906 more residents were tested over the long weekend, new total of 78,020. Solano has a long way to go: only 17.4% of Solano County’s 447,643 residents (2019) have been tested.
Positive Test Rate
Solano County reported today that our 7-day average test rate rose today, from 5.3% last Friday to 5.6% today. Solano’s high test rate contrasts sharply with the state of California’s rate of 3.8% today. Last week we saw Solano rates above 7% for the first time since we peaked at 9.3% on July 22. The County reported a 7-day test rate low of 4.1% on August 11, and the County’s rate peaked at 9.3% on July 22. Health officials and news reports focus on percent positive test rates as one of the best metrics for measuring the spread of the virus. The California 7-day test rate fell over the weekend from 4.3% to 3.8%. (Note that Solano County displays past weeks and months in a 7-day test positivity curve chart which also shows daily results. However, the chart does not display an accurate number of cases for the most recent days, as there is a lag time in receiving test results. The 7-day curve also lags behind current unknown results.)
- Youth 17 and under – 11 new cases today, total of 636 cases. No new hospitalizations among this age group, a total of 5 hospitalizations since the outbreak began. Thankfully, no deaths. It seems too many youth are ignoring public health orders. Cases among Solano youth have risen steadily over the summer, from 5.6% of total cases on June 8 to 11% last week and today. Youth are 22% of Solano’s general population, so this 11% may seem low. The significance is: 1) that youth numbers are increasing steadily and at a faster rate than the other age groups, and 2) that youth are seriously NOT immune – in fact 5 youth have been hospitalized.
- Persons 18-49 years of age – 45 new cases today, total of 3,486 cases. This age group is 41% of the population in Solano, but represents 60.5% of the 5,762 total cases, by far the highest percentage of all age groups. The County reported 1 new hospitalization in this age group today, total of 93 hospitalized since the outbreak began. No new deaths among this age group today, total of 4 deaths. Some in this group are surely ignoring public health orders, and many are providing essential services among us. I expect his group is a major factor in the spread of the virus.
- Persons 50-64 years of age – 22 new cases today, total of 1,096 cases. This age group represents 19% of the 5,762 total cases.
1 new hospitalization today, total of 77 hospitalized since the outbreak began. No new deaths in this age group today, a total of 7 deaths.
- Persons 65 years or older – 13 new cases today, total of 542 cases, representing 9.4% of the 5,762 total cases. 2 new hospitalizations today, total of 111 hospitalized since the outbreak began. In this older age group, 20.6% of cases required hospitalization at one time. This is a much higher percentage than in the lower age groups. No new deaths in this age group today, total of 37 deaths. This group accounts for 37 of the 48 deaths, or 78%.
- Benicia added 2 new case today, total of 138 cases since the outbreak began.
- Dixon added 6 new cases today, total of 392 cases.
- Fairfield added 37 new cases today, total of 1,876.
- Rio Vista remained steady today, total of 38 cases.
- Suisun City added 5 new cases today, total of 415 cases.
- Vacaville added 8 new cases today, total of 972 cases.
- Vallejo added 33 new cases today, total of 1,913 cases.
- Unincorporated areas remained steady today, total of 18 cases.
Cases, Hospitalizations & Deaths by Race / Ethnicity
The County report on race / ethnicity includes case numbers, hospitalizations, deaths and Solano population statistics. Today I am again returning to the summary chart featuring all of these. This information is discouragingly similar to national reports that indicate significantly worse outcomes among black and brown Americans. Note that all of this data surely undercounts Latinx Americans, as there is a large group of “Multirace / Others” which likely is composed mostly of Latinex members of our communities.
- Asian Americans are 14% of Solano’s population, and account for 9% of cases, 12% of hospitalizations, and 20% of deaths.
- Black Americans are 14% of Solano’s population, and account for 11% of cases, but 18% of hospitalizations, and 24% of deaths.
- Latinx Americans are 26% of Solano’s population, but account for 32% of cases, 33% of hospitalizations, and 26% of deaths.
- White Americans are 39% of the population in Solano County, but only account for 20% of cases, 21% of hospitalizations and 20% of deaths.
The County’s new and improved Coronavirus Dashboard is full of much more information, too extensive to cover here on a daily basis. The Benicia Independent will continue to summarize daily and highlight a report or two. Check out the Dashboard at https://doitgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=055f81e9fe154da5860257e3f2489d67.