Solano County on Friday, July 23: 308 new COVID infections in just 2 days! One new hospitalization. Test positivity nears 15%!
Solano County COVID dashboard SUMMARY:[Sources: see below. See also my ARCHIVE spreadsheet of daily Solano COVID updates.]
Solano County reported 304 new COVID cases since Wednesday’s report, 152 per day over the 2 days! We’ve not seen a daily increase this high since Feb. 5, 2021.
TREND: Cases-per-day dramatically up in July
Cases-per-day have trended gradually downward in recent months, but are now rising sharply:
Solano’s 647 ACTIVE cases is dramatically up from Wednesday’s 451, and higher than anything since February 11, 2021. Active cases have risen alarmingly in just two weeks, up from 289 cases on July 12.
Our percent positivity rate was up alarmingly today from a very high 12.2% on Wednesday to a shocking 14.9% today, the County’s highest rate since January 29, 2021. We would be decidedly back in the PURPLE TIER with rates this high. ICU Beds Available rose by 4% today to 50%. The County reported more ventilators available today, up from 77 to 80.
Solano County reported no new deaths today. The County total is now 245 deaths since the pandemic began.
SUMMER SURGE – Masks and Social Distancing
COVID is clearly circulating again and surging in Solano County! Some California counties are returning to mandatory masks for all in crowded places. In the Bay Area, Solano County is the only holdout against even RECOMMENDING masks in public indoors spaces. My personal plan is to mask indoors in public even though I’m vaccinated, and I’d recommend it for you, too. This thing ain’t over yet!
Hospitalizations on Friday, July 23:
CURRENT hospitalizations remained steady today at 33 persons CURRENTLY hospitalized with COVID. However, in today’s “Hospitalizations by Age Group” chart, the County reported 1 new hospitalization, a Black / African American person age 50-64. These charts are only updated “occasionally” according to our Public Health officer, Dr. Bela Matyas. The County updates the intake/discharge total of CURRENTLY hospitalized cases with every report, but never reports on the cumulative total of hospitalized COVID patients over the course of the pandemic. That total must be independently discovered in the County’s occasional update on the Hospitalizations by Age Group chart. As mentioned, that chart was updated today and so I can now report a new total of 1,309 persons hospitalized since the beginning of the outbreak, in the following age groups:
|Age Group||Hospitalizations||% of Total|
Hospitalizations are also recorded on the County’s demographic chart labeled “Hospitalizations by Race / Ethnicity.” The chart was updated today, adding a Black / African American person. Here are the current numbers. Interestingly, the total doesn’t square with totals by age groups.
|Race / Ethnicity||Hospitalizations||% of Total|
|Black / African American||200||16%|
|Hispanic / Latinx||327||27%|
|Multirace / Others||86||7%|
- Benicia added 14 new cases today, a total of 1,084 cases since the outbreak began, 3.9% of its population of 27,570.
- Dixon added 14 new case today, total of 1,990 cases, 10.1% of its population of 19,794.
- Fairfield added 74 new cases today, total of 9,486 cases, 8.1% of its population of 117,149.
- Rio Vista added 4 new cases today, total of 417 cases, 4.4% of its population of 9,416.
- Suisun City added 30 new cases today, total of 2,449 cases, 8.3% of its population of 29,447.
- Vacaville added 82 new cases today, a total of 9,259 cases, 9.4% its of population of 98,807.
- Vallejo added 89 new cases today, a total of 10,400 cases, 8.7% of its population of 119,544.
- Unincorporated areas added 1 new case today, a total of 108 cases (population figures not available).
The data on this page is from today’s and the previous Solano County COVID-19 Dashboard. The Dashboard is full of much more information and updated weekdays around 4 or 5pm. On the County’s dashboard, you can hover a mouse or click on an item for more information. Note the tabs at top for “Summary, Demographics” and “Vaccines.” Click here to go to today’s Solano County Dashboard.
- Solano County Coronavirus Dashboard (posted on the County website today).
- See also my ARCHIVE of daily Solano COVID updates (an excel spreadsheet).