How to register
United States elections, 2018 – California offers online voter registration. You can register to vote by mail in California by printing a voter registration form, filling it out, and mailing it to your local election office. You can also register to vote in person if you prefer.
- Election day is Tuesday, November 6.
- The deadline to register online is Monday, October 22.
- The deadline for registering to vote by mail is Monday, October 22.
- The deadline to register to vote in person is Tuesday, November 6. Conditional voter registration is a safety net for Californians who miss the October 22 deadline to register to vote or update their voter registration information. Voters can use the conditional voter registration process from October 23 all the way through Election Day. Eligible citizens can go to their county election office or a designated satellite location to register and vote conditionally. These ballots will be processed once the county elections office has completed the voter registration verification process.
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of California
- be at least 18 or older on Election Day to vote
- not be currently in state or federal prison or on parole for the conviction of a felony
- not be currently found to be mentally incompetent to vote by a court
- California offers online voter registration.
- You should know: you need a California ID or a Social Security number to register online. If you do not have a California-issued ID or Social Security number, you can still register to vote by mail.
- You can register online until Monday, October 22.