Friday, September 17: Solano County reports
1 new death and 185 new infections
Solano County COVID dashboard SUMMARY:[Sources: see below.]
DEATHS: One new death today, someone 65+ years of age. Total Solano deaths over the course of the pandemic now at 281.
CASES: The County reported 185 new COVID cases over the last two days, 92 per day, down from Wednesday’s 184 but up from Monday’s 50 per day, and well back in the range of last winter’s surge.
COMMUNITY TRANSMISSION RATE: Over the last 7 days, Solano has seen 714 new cases, NEARLY TWICE the CDC’s population-based definition of a HIGH rate of transmission!
(CDC FORMULA: Based on Solano County population of 449,432, the CDC would rate us in “SUBSTANTIAL” transmission with 225 cases over the last 7 days. Double that, or 450 cases in the last 7 days would rank us in “HIGH” transmission. Reference: CDC’s “Level of SARS-CoV-2 Community Transmission”.]
ACTIVE CASES: Solano’s 816 ACTIVE cases is up from Wednesday’s 773, and up alarmingly up from 212 on July 2.
ICU Bed Availability went up today from 23% to 28%, but still in the yellow danger zone. Again, we are still in the range we saw during the winter surge.
TOTAL hospitalizations Solano County’s TOTAL hospitalized over the course of the pandemic must be independently discovered in the County’s occasional update of hospitalizations by Age Group and by Race/Ethnicity. The County updated its Hospitalizations charts today. See below. Interestingly, the race/ethnicity numbers don’t square with the age group numbers.
FACE MASKS… Good News in Benicia and Vallejo
GOOD NEWS! Benicia City Council passed a citywide indoors mask mandate that went into effect on August 24 and includes everyone 4 years old and up when indoors in public places, even those of us who are vaccinated. Benicia was joined by Vallejo on August 31. In the Bay Area, Solano County REMAINS the only holdout against a mask mandate for public indoors spaces.
THE SOLANO COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS failed to even consider an agendized proposal for a countywide MASK MANDATE this week. On Tuesday, September 14. the Board’s agenda called for discussion of an indoors mask mandate for all and a vaccination mandate for county workers. The Board voted 4-1 to require county-run facilities in Vallejo and Benicia to abide by local mandates. But the Board voted down a vaccination mandate 3-2, and failed to even consider the county-wide mask mandate. The Solano Board of Supervisors now joins with Dr. Bela Matyas in officially showing poor leadership on the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Benicia added 10 new cases today, a total of 1,388 cases since the outbreak began. Benicia has seen 26 new cases over the last 7 days, remaining just below the CDC’s definition of HIGH community transmission (based on Benicia population). Benicia is still at the HIGH END of the CDC’s range of SUBSTANTIAL transmission. [Note that Solano County is also rated far above high transmission, and Solano’s 6 other cities are likely also individually experiencing high or substantial transmission.]
- Dixon added 11 new cases today, total of 2,414 cases.
- Fairfield added 40 new cases today, total of 11,664 cases.
- Rio Vista added 3 new cases today, total of 550 cases.
- Suisun City added 17 new cases today, total of 3,062 cases.
- Vacaville added 58 new cases today, a total of 11,457 cases.
- Vallejo added 46 new cases today, a total of 12,710 cases.
- Unincorporated added 0 new cases today, a total of 134 cases (population figures not available).
HOW DOES TODAY’S REPORT COMPARE? See recent reports and others going back to April 20, 2020 on my ARCHIVE of daily Solano COVID updates (an excel spreadsheet).
>>The data on this page is from the Solano County COVID-19 Dashboard. The Dashboard is full of much more information and updated Monday, Wednesday and Friday around 4 or 5pm. On the County’s dashboard, you can hover a mouse or click on an item for more information. Note the tabs at top for “Summary, Demographics” and “Vaccines.” Click here to go to today’s Solano County Dashboard.
- Solano County Coronavirus Dashboard (on the County website).
- See also my ARCHIVE of daily Solano COVID updates (an excel spreadsheet). I have posted full CORONAVIRUS REPORTS almost daily here on the Benicia Independent.