Friday, May 8
9 new positive cases, no new deaths.
Total now 351 cases, 7 deaths.
Previous report, Thursday, May 7
Solano County reported 9 new positive cases today, total is now 351. No new deaths, total now at 7.
BY AGE GROUP
- No new cases of young persons under 19 years of age, total of 6 cases, less than 2% of the 351 confirmed cases.
- 7 of today’s 9 new cases were persons 19-64 years of age, total of 257 cases, 73% of the total. No new deaths, total of 2. Note that only 33 of the 257 cases in this age group (13%) were hospitalized at one time. (It is unclear whether the 2 deaths were ever hospitalized.)
- 2 of today’s 9 new cases were persons 65 or older, total of 86 cases, 25% of the total. No new deaths, total of 5. Note that 25 of the 88 cases in this age group (28%) were hospitalized at one time, more than double the percentage in the mid-age group. (It is unclear whether the 5 deaths in this age group were ever hospitalized.)
HOSPITALIZATIONS: 60 of Solano’s 351 cases resulted in hospitalizations, an increase of only 1 since yesterday. Relatively good news – a small increase.
ACTIVE CASES: Only 23 of the 351 are active cases, 49 fewer than yesterday’s total. Not sure why this huge drop in active cases – the number has hovered around 70 for the last week. Good news surely. Note that the county does not report WHERE the active cases are. Below you will see that only 10 are currently hospitalized, which leaves 13 of these 23 active cases out in our communities somewhere, and hopefully quarantined.
The County’s “Hospital Impact” graph shows 10 of the 60 hospitalized cases are CURRENTLY hospitalized, 1 fewer than yesterday. The County’s count of ICU beds available and ventilator supply remains at “GOOD” at 31-100%. (No information is given on our supply of test kits, PPE and staff.)
- Vallejo added 7 of today’s 9 new cases, total of 202.
- Fairfield added 2 of today’s 9 new cases, total of 65.
- Vacaville remains at 36 (steady over the last 4 days).
- Suisun City remains at 16 (steady over the last 5 days).
- Benicia remains at 16 (steady over the last 4 days).
- Dixon, Rio Vista and “Unincorporated” are still not assigned numerical data: today all remain at <10 (less than 10). Note that the numbers for other cities add up to 335, leaving 16 cases located somewhere among the locations in this “<10” category (same number as last reported). Residents and city officials have pressured County officials for city case counts. Today’s data is welcome, but still incomplete.
The County reports that 5,369 residents have been tested as of today. This is an increase of 72 residents tested since yesterday’s total of 5,297.
This relatively small increase comes 3 days after the County announced the opening of new State run testing sites in Vacaville and Vallejo, open to anyone. When will we see our testing numbers surge?
· See Solano testing – by the numbers April 13 – present.
· See also Solano County announces testing available to all.
We have a long way to go: only 1% of Solano County’s 447,643 residents (2019) have been tested.
Solano’s upward curve in cumulative cases – as of May 8
This chart shows the infection’s steady upward trajectory in Solano County. Our curve is definitely not soaring, but it is creeping up. Our nursing homes, long-term care facilities and jails bear watching!
You must be logged in to post a comment.