BENICIA RESISTANCE: OBSERVANCE OF TRUMP’S FIRST 100 DAYS
Friday, April 28, 5 PM
City Park, First & Military Streets
WE WILL GATHER ON TRUMP’S 99TH DAY (…not on the 20th this month)
We found ourselves moved and encouraged on Inauguration Day, January 20th when we sang and held hands in the pouring rain just as Donald Trump took the oath of office. We determined that day to organize, to keep watch, to remain vigilant, and to come together on the 20th of each month to support one another in our efforts to resist authoritarian governance of our constitutional democracy.
And so we did gather again – in the pouring rain each time – on February 20 and March 20. In April, we will put off our gathering for a week or so, and meet on the day before the Trump Administration’s 100th day. We will gather on Friday, April 28th.
Please share this invitation with friends and family, bring signs and banners, and prepare to have your discouragement and anxieties transformed into purpose and strength in the warmth and insight of our hopeful community of Benicia progressives.
- BENICIA STANDING STRONG -
VIGIL ON THE SPRING EQUINOX
Monday, March 20, 6 p.m. First & Military
We continue on the 20th of each month to stand strong, watching over the Trump administration’s disastrous agenda. AND…it’s important to remain focused on local & regional issues. TOGETHER, we are strong.
March 20th falls this year on the spring equinox, a season of increasing light, and a time when life springs forth from death. We gather again to support one another in our efforts to resist the stifling of democracy and hope.
Bring information about groups you are working with.
Connect with others who are taking action.
Bring signs and banners.
HERE AT HOME
|Among MANY other things…President Trump released his preliminary discretionary budget Thursday morning with its massive cuts to the arts, science, and the poor. The proposal cuts the EPA and the State Department the most — by nearly a third.
Trump would eliminate funding for 19 agencies, including the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the National Endowment for the Arts and the Chemical Safety Board.
- Great news! The Phillips 66 proposal to bring oil trains through Northern California to San Luis Obispo was DEFEATED last week, thanks to vigorous local and regional organizing!
- The Bay Area Air District is hosting a community workshop on Tues, March 28 at 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. at the Benicia Library. A strong public presence is important to send the Air District the message that we cannot wait any longer and we need emissions caps now.
- On April 4, there will be a nationwide screening of the 80’s movie 1984. In Vallejo, see the movie at the Empress Theater in Vallejo (more info on Facebook event page).
A few good local organizing links:
JOIN us at the vigil on March 20 and SHARE on Facebook: tinyurl.com/BeniciaVigil
We must speak with all the humility that is appropriate to our limited vision, but we must speak. And we must rejoice as well, [at] the high grounds of a firm dissent based upon the mandates of conscience and the reading of history. Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us.”
- Martin Luther King, Jr., 1967