Virtual open house at 7 PM tonight…
City of Benicia email notice, November 29, 2022
This is a reminder that you have been invited to attend a virtual open house tonight, Tuesday, November 29th for the North Study Area visioning process. Click to join or call 1 (669) 444-9171, Passcode: 781797, for the event, which will begin at 7:00 PM. At the open house residents can learn more about the visioning process and share their ideas for the future of the property.
The City of Benicia is leading this visioning process to solicit public input on potential future land use options for a 527-acre vacant property in the northeast corner of the city. The City wants to partner with the community to envision the future of this area, which is the last remaining large tract of privately-owned undeveloped land in Benicia.
- Former Mayor reflects on Benicia’s North Study Area Open House (Seeno property)
- BENINDY NOTICE – Benicia’s “North Study Area” project (Seeno property) November 16, 2022
- 2008 Green Gateway Study (archive)
Following below is current information from the City of Benicia website, https://www.ci.benicia.ca.us/northstudyarea
North Study Area
The North Study Area visioning project aims to solicit public input on potential future land use options for the North Study Area property. Community input, together with an economic analysis and evaluation of the property conditions, will be used to develop several mixed-use concepts for further public review. Once completed, the landowner may determine whether to move forward with initiating land use applications which must include a “Master Plan” (i.e., Specific Plan) as required by the Benicia General Plan and Zoning Ordinance.
The study area is a 527-acre undeveloped property in the northeast corner of the city. The property is within the City’s urban growth boundary and fronts on Lake Herman Road and East Second Street. Although a number of site development proposals have been considered over the years, most recently in 2016, none have come to fruition. The property is currently zoned Limited Industrial (IL) and General Commercial (CG).
The City wants to partner with the community to envision the future of this area, which is the last remaining large tract of privately-owned undeveloped land within Benicia.
There will be a variety of opportunities to learn more about this effort and to provide feedback over the coming year. The City will solicit public input through a series of community meetings, public events, and on-line engagement opportunities. To receive the latest updates, you can sign up for project email notifications here. The City expects to complete the visioning process by late 2023.
The North Study Area Community-Led Visioning Process is divided into the following primary tasks:
- Existing Conditions Review: Review of background materials and existing conditions information relevant to the visioning process.
- Economic Analysis: Analysis of real estate market conditions, financial feasibility of land use alternatives, and net annual fiscal impacts of land use alternatives.
- Issues and Options: Evaluation of key issues and options associated with development options.
- Mixed-use Concepts: Consideration of alternative land use concepts for the property.
- Summary Report: Summary of public input received and areas of consensus that emerged from the visioning process.
The City has formed an advisory group for the North Study Area project to help distribute information about the project, provide feedback on project materials, and to bring together diverse community perspectives. The advisory group consists of one representative selected by each of the following City committee/commissions and community organizations. Meetings are open to the public.
- City Council Subcommittee for the North Study Area (2 members)
- Economic Development Board
- Community Sustainability Commission
- Committee United for Racial Equity
- Planning Commission
- Benicia Chamber of Commerce
- Benicia Industrial Park Association
- Matthew Turner Elementary Parent Teacher Group
- Sustainable Solano
- Benicia Unified School District
- Housing First Solano
To be added as materials become available.
Advisory Group Meeting 1 (11/9/2022)
Adopted City Plans and Policies
- Benicia General Plan
- Climate Action Plan
- Business Development Action Plan (2012)
- Benicia Industrial Park Transportation and Employment Center Plan (2017)
- Benicia Industrial Design Guidelines (1989)
- Economic Development Strategy (2007)
Studies and Reports
- Benicia Industrial Park Market Study (2014)
- Northern Gateway Proposal Market and Feasibility Evaluation (2016)
- Moving Solano Forward: Solano County Economic Diversification Study (2014)